Burlington Junction (“Freeman”) Station Timeline
1850: Great Western Railroad station built
1892: Grand Trunk Railroad buys Great Western Railroad
1904: Second Grand Trunk Railway station burns down
1906: Present “Freeman” station built
1914: Soldiers leave from the station to fight overseas, August 17th
1923: Canadian National Railway buys Grand Trunk Railway
1967: Launch of GO Transit
1988: Station ceases operation; passenger office moved to Fairview Street GO station
2005: City of Burlington acquires the Station & moves it to Burlington Fire HQ
2011: incorporation of Friends of Freeman Station
2013: Station moved to permanent location @ 1285 Fairview Street
2014: Stabilization and preservation of the building begins; concrete foundation and basement. Participated in Burlington Santa Claus parade
2015: Dramatic progress to restore building interior, windows and doors, new roof, exterior paint, hookup to hydro; more than 3,000 hours of 100% volunteer labour
2017: July 1 Canada Day Our “unofficial” first Opening Day when the public could enter the building for the first time
2018: Awarded Burlington Best Award for Heritage. Rails & Flagpole installed in front.
Whinstones cemented into place. Wheelchair ramp installed. Upstairs Washroom installed.
Diorama set up in basement.